You hear less about DIY these days, with good reason – building work is essential, has safety and legal aspects, and is time-consuming and costly if amateurs make mistakes.
So it is vital to find a good builder, experienced in the work you require and offering clear competitive rates so you can select the best.
But where do you start? Follow our tips and then select from our 20 builders, each a winner of the building industry’s most prestigious award schemes.
10 tops tip for finding a builder
2. Ask for references and check them out;
3. Ask about a builder’s experience and qualifications;
4. Check whether the builder uses sub-contractors;
5. Does the builder have insurance if something goes badly wrong?
6. Always ask for a detailed quote, checking how long the price is guaranteed for;
7. Draw up a contract if the work you require is substantial;
8. Agree phases of work and stage-payments;
9. Ask a council inspector to check the work meets building regulations;
10. Keep a final payment until the work is complete and snags rectified.